Monday, March 11, 2013

Rainy Night Meal, Chowder

I love soup. All of it. In all of its forms... I'm even that freak who likes cold soups. But I have to admit I have an even greater fondness for chowder. It started on a trip to Seattle when I was a teenager. It's too simple to say that I had the best Salmon Chowder I've ever had in my life... it was life changing. Too much? Well... it really was! There is something magical in the rich, buttery texture and that underlying sweetness. Something that just warms you to the bone. And plain old soup, sometimes, just isn't enough.

Recently, my hubby took the boys to visit their great grandparents in The Woodlands and I was left here, alone, all by myself... It. Was. Horrible. (Careful now, the sarcasm might literally bite you in the face!) I invited over my besties so we could get in a little girlie craft time and decided I'd make chowder. And the Pinterest scouring began! I came a cross a recipe for Ham and Bacon Corn Chowder which sounded super appealing as my oldest, Carson, is allergic to corn. And while, the benefits of not having packaged, processed foods in my house far outweigh the loss of sweet, summer corn-on-the-cob, I really do get some corn cravings now and then.

But it wouldn't be me if I didn't decide to just make up my own recipe and hope it came out amazingly so I read a few other chowder recipes, learned the basics and made a grocery list. It turned out fabulously! I served it with Tastefully Simple Beer Bread. Please check out their products, they really are awesome, and since I'm not a pre-fab mix user, that's really saying something. I used Blue Moon Honey Wheat Beer and added 1 cup of Sargento's 4-Cheddar Shredded Cheese in my mixture. It was the perfect meal for a cold rainy night spent with the besties, crafting and laughing. But it'll feed some big, ol' men just as well! Enjoy!

Smoky Ham and Corn Chowder

3 strips of Bacon, cut into pieces
1 TBSP Olive Oil
2 TBSP Unsalted Butter
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 lb red potatoes, washed, chopped
1/2 lb ham, cut into 1/2" cubes (I used Boar's Head Uncured Ham & asked for 2-1/2" thick slices)
32 oz Unsalted Vegetable Cooking Stock (or your homemade/ preferred stock)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 pint Half 'n' Half
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
4 oz grated, Smoked Gouda
1 12oz package frozen, golden whole kernal corn
Chopped chives or green onion for serving

On a medium to medium-high setting, brown the bacon in your soup or stock pot and remove to drain. Set aside for later. Leave the bacon grease in the pan and add the olive oil and butter. Add the onion and garlic and allow to cook for about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and let it saute for another 3-4 minutes and add the ham. Let it cook for another 3-4 minutes and add the vegetable stock, being sure to scrape up all the yumminess of the bottom of the pan. Add the bacon to the mixture.

Allow your chowder to simmer for 20 minutes, so the potatoes can cook and the flavors can meld. Add the half 'n' half and cream and let the soup re-warm but not boil. Add the Smoked Gouda and stir until melted into the chowder. Add the corn and let the chowder warm for another 5 minutes, but do not let it boil.

Serve with chopped chives or green onions, and beer bread.


Nutrition Facts (per serving, percent values based on a 2000 calorie diet)


Calories                             349.2
Total Fat                           23.7 g
   Saturated                        12.6 g
   Polyunsaturated               0.3 g
   Monounsaturated             3.7 g
   Trans                                   0 g
Cholesterol                    87.4 mg
Sodium                        672.5 mg
Potassium                   404.8 mg
Total Carbs                      19.3 g
   Dietary Fiber                    1.3 g
   Sugars                             6.3 g
Protein                             14.8 g
Vitamin A                        16.8%
Vitamin C                        10.9%
Calcium                           20.6%
Iron                                    6.1%

No comments:

Post a Comment