Thursday, April 11, 2013

Annoyance, Issue 1

I have a few pet peeves. Go figure, right? The first is this little gem, this little meme:



Oh how I despise it! Because really everybody has time for everything. I don't mean that in a "go be Martha Stewart" and label every item in your pantry sort of way (but by all means, if you want to, go for it). I just mean that if it is important, you make time for it. And sometimes what is important to you is not important to other people. And what is important to other people is not important to you.

I love crafting and baking and doing those home-type things that a lot of people feel, "Ain't nobody got time for that!" Well here's the deal: It is just plain rude to tell someone that. It makes them feel that their efforts are unimportant. It makes them feel as if the things they've chosen to do with their time were pointless and stupid. I'd never say to a working mother that her spread sheet and/ or presentation she stayed up all night stressing over and reworking and rewriting for her 9 am meeting just isn't important because, "Ain't nobody go time for that". But for some reason no one has an issue telling me that the wreath I made or the Frittata I put on my dinner table or the homemade laundry detergent I make, was just a waste of time.

Because that is what you are saying.

So stop it.  

And my next pet peeve is a little less important. I love Spring. I do. I love getting outside and enjoying the warmer weather and the sunshine and planting flowers and gardening. I love Spring. But I seriously dislike people building new fences. And by dislike I mean hate.

The constant hammering. The constant beating that echoes through the neighborhood until it's all you can hear. And you aren't sure where it's coming from exactly because of the echo, so the noise seems to surround you. And then you venture outside and it is only worse because now it isn't hindered by the walls of your home. And as you walk with your children to the park only to realize you can still hear it blocks away, you find the house that is building said new fence, and know that it's going to take at least 2-3 days and that the constant barrage of hammer to nail to wood isn't going to stop anytime soon. So you count to 10 and try to meditate your way out of the hatred for the people who don't understand that there are people home during the day whose children might need to take a nap. And you remind yourself that everyone has to build fences now and then.

But as revenge, the next time we build one, we are starting at 7am on Saturday and Sunday so all of you can feel my pain!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment